Our PE curriculum aims to inspire all children to be active, show resilience and determination to learn new skills and enhance prior learning. We provide a safe and supportive environment which provides them with the opportunity to be successful in a range of physical activities. At Maple Grove Primary School we teach key essential skills such as teamwork and leadership and our PE curriculum provides opportunities to further develop these skills. We encourage children to take part in the competition element of sport and to develop their understanding of the importance of fair play. Our curriculum is inclusive and supports all children in developing confidence in physical activity to support their health and fitness. We encourage pupils to develop their understanding of the way in which they can use their body, equipment, and apparatus safely, imaginatively, and effectively. Our PE curriculum, along with Science and RHE teaches children about the importance of physical activity and nutrition to maintain a healthy lifestyle. It also supports children in understanding how physical activity and healthy eating can impact positively on emotional wellbeing.
Our PE curriculum follows a scheme of work from Get Set 4 PE, which is closely aligned to the National Curriculum. This scheme supports a clear and sequenced progression of skills and knowledge, both within each year group and from one year to the next. Children take part in twice weekly PE lessons in a wide range of sporting activities which include:
Class teachers work closely alongside skilled sports coaches to deliver a high-quality sports provision. Swimming lessons are also provided for KS2 by qualified swimming teachers to support children in being able to competently, confidently and proficiently swim a distance of at least 25 metres. After school sports clubs are also offered to pupils to enhance the sports provision on offer and provide children with an opportunity to further develop their skills. At lunchtimes, KS2 children also have the opportunity to participate in physical activity with sports coaches.
- Enjoy their learning inPE and have high expectations of themselves in order to achieve their best.
- Learn and develop new skills and work hard to master those shown to them.
- Develop an understanding of a range of sports and fitness activities
- Learn the importance of taking care of their physical and mental health.
- Learn how to show good sportsmanship and encourage others to do well.
- Learn how to work collaboratively and individually.
- Use a range of PE vocabulary correctly.
- Develop their competences in using a wide range of sports equipment.
- Take responsibility for their own health and fitness.
- Learn to reflect on their progress towards mastering key skills in PE.
- Be provided with the opportunity to take part in after school sports clubs.